This year’s Samuel J. Heyman Service to America Awards, better known as the Sammies, honored the finest in government service. The event was held Tuesday, September 20th at the historic Andrew Mellon W. Auditorium.
Hosting the big event were Michael Kelly, who plays Doug Stamper on Netflix’s House of Cards, along with NBC’s Stephanie Ruhle. Together they added humor and wit to the night’s proceedings. White House Chief of Staff Denis McDonough caught up with Michael Kelly, who portrays the role McDonough fills in real life. At the winner’s reception, they got a chance to thank and mingle with the winners of this year’s awards.
Among the VIP’s at this year’s awards were:
- Ronnie and Larry Heyman
- Tom Bernstein, co-founder, Chelsea Piers
- NASA Administrator Charles Bolden
- IRS Commissioner John Koskinen
- Fmr. Representative Tom Davis
- Sean O’Keefe, former NASA Administrator
- Former Campbell’s Soup CEO Doug Conant
- Deputy Secretary Chris Lu, Department of Labor
- Former Rep. Mike Rogers
- Rep. Garret Graves
- Deputy Secretary of the Treasury Sarah Raskin
- White House Chief of Staff Denis McDonough
- Former Undersecretary of Defense for Policy Michele Flournoy
- Stephanie Ruhle, NBC News Weekend Today Show and MSNBC
- Michael Kelly, House of Cards Chief of Staff Doug Stamper
- OMB Director Shaun Donovan
- Admiral Thad Allen (Ret.)
- Secret Service Director Joseph Clancy
- Former WH Chief of Staff Josh Bolten
- Rep. David Price (D-N.C.)
You can read more about the event and the winners of this year’s Sammies here.