Following the news of unwanted sexual advances in 1986 by actor Kevin Spacey toward then-teenager Anthony Rapp, Netflix quickly decided on Monday to terminate House of Cards after the upcoming sixth season airs next year.
“Media Rights Capital and Netflix are deeply troubled by last night’s news concerning Kevin Spacey,’ said the companies in a joint statement. “In response to last night’s revelations, executives from both of our companies arrived in Baltimore this afternoon to meet with our cast and crew to ensure that they continue to feel safe and supported. As previously scheduled, Kevin Spacey is not working on set at this time.”
Late Sunday, Rapp claimed then-26 year old Spacey drunkenly made advances toward him. “I was aware that he was trying to get with me sexually,” Rapp said. Both actors were on Broadway at that time in a revival of Long Day’s Journey Into Night and Precious Sons.
Spacey responded by quickly apologizing, issuing a statement on social media stating he “did not remember the encounter” and that he was “horrified” by the actions described by Rapp. “If I did behave then as he describes, I owe him the sincerest apology for what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behavior.”
The sixth and final season of House of Cards is currently filming in Baltimore, and is expected to air mid-2018 on Netflix.
You must be logged in to post a comment.